Thursday, September 10, 2009

May I be excused?

Wow, I think I forget year to year about the first few weeks of college for first year students. Today I had several students ask me permission to go to the bathroom. There were others who asked if they could leave if they were finished with the lab.

I typically say, "of course, this is college, man."

Today someone asked if they could leave and I gave the response, "of course". They said we wanted to check if you were going to say anything more before we left. How nice and respectful. I said "Quick, run! before I come up with something to say"

The adjustment from "May I be excused?" to "Oh I guess I'd better show up to class in case I miss something important" to "My friend takes good notes, I'll just stay at home" is very fast, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment