Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tenure App countdown- 4 days

See here and here for more about my upcoming bid for tenure.

I need to:
  1. Update my CV
  2. Arrange for two colleagues to sit in on a class and evaluate your teaching. I did, they haven't visited yet, though
  3. Find my statement of faith and revise at applicant's discretion.This is an essay I wrote during the hiring process to see if I was a good "institutional fit", aka one of their denomination or somebody who doesn't thoroughly disagree with it. Not revising; too low on priority list.
  4. Include my annual progress reports from the last three years. We have to write a "Did I meet last years' goals? What are this year's goals?" report every spring. I have only found two, had to embarrassingly ask the Provost's office to scan the third. I must have saved over it in using it for the following years' update.
  5. Finish my "How I include my faith in my teaching" paper (UGH)
  6. Collate all of my course evaluation summaries. What a hassle! They're all paper except for the last year. So that's six courses a year, three sections for some of those courses, and six years of courses... I'll need to photocopy (or delegate) all of those. Update; a work-study student did it for me in about 20 minutes.
  7. Rank myself and justify my rank on a rather squishy scale from incompetent to outstanding. This is tricky, since you don't want to shoot too low, but your colleagues must also review your rank and agree or disagree to it, so you can't be arrogant.
  8. Write a cover letter
  9. Accumulate any supporting evidence at my discretion, such as syllabi, pubs, letters of recommendation, etc. We'll see what I have time for.
My goal is do do the best I can with what I've got (energy-wise) in the time I have. And be satisfied with what I hand the evaluation committee. I may have mentioned this before, but I'm not afraid to lose my job (see this article about tenure at a PUI), but I do not want to negatively impress my colleagues, the dean or the provost.
     
     

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I agree that the course evals are a hassle! I switched over to electronic ones last year simply to get away from having to do all the calculations each year. :)

    Sounds like you're making good progress on your tenure app!

    ReplyDelete